A HELPING HAND WITH KIDS' NUTRITION
Eating well can be a challenge at any age. That's why we’ve partnered with Ethos Health to bring our members the Healthy Families for Life program, designed to:
- encourage kids to develop positive eating habits for growth and development
- reduce the risk of chronic conditions in their future
- help parents role model healthy eating behaviours.
About the program and eligibility
The Healthy Families for Life program is a ‘stepped care’ solution, so you get the care best suited to your child’s needs, from birth to age 12.
HCF members with any HCF health cover (excluding Overseas Visitors Health Cover) can get free* access to:
- an educational resource library with evidence-based information, tips and tools to help you understand more about kids’ nutrition, from fussy eating to specific medical conditions
- an initial online or telephone-based questionnaire for parents to register their interest in the program
- communication with the Healthy Families for Life care support team to help find the next best steps for your child.
If you and your child need extra support and they are at risk of developing a chronic disease, they can get:
- a personalised Consultation Care program from qualified clinical experts with AHPRA accreditation or one of the following qualifications: Accredited Practice Dietitian (DA), Accredited Exercise Physiologist (ESSA) or Speech Pathologist accredited by Speech Pathology Australia.
- tailored, telephone-based coaching to support and address your child's needs.
For this additional support, you’ll need to have family or single parent hospital cover (excluding Accident Only Basic Cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover) and meet the eligibility criteria*.
Frequently asked questions
How does it work?
The Healthy Families for Life program is designed to direct parents to the right support they need to manage their child’s nutritional needs.
The online platform gives parents the freedom to choose from a range of support options for your child, from articles and information to expert-led, more complex care for eligible children*, which can prevent or delay the onset of chronic conditions relating to nutrition.
Each page of the Healthy Families for Life resource library has a questionnaire that helps the team understand your specific concerns and sends your details onto a member of the care support team who will get in touch with a tailored view of your next steps.
How do I know if I am eligible?
HCF members with any HCF health cover (excluding Overseas Visitors Health Cover) can access the Healthy Families for Life online resource hub and get a free* assessment for their child from the care support team.
You may qualify for the additional clinical support from the Healthy Families for Life program if:
- you have an active family or single parent hospital product, which includes your child aged 0-12 years (excluding Accident Only Basic Cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover)
- your child has problems with their nutritional intake or show eating behaviours that need to be addressed in order to develop healthy habits and reduce the risk of chronic conditions, including obesity in adulthood.
Is Healthy Families for Life supported by medical evidence?
The articles and information in the Healthy Families for Life resource library are based on the best evidence for supporting healthy growth in children and reducing the risk of weight issues and eating disorders. The programs are designed to support parents and their children to improve their nutrition as well as tools to achieve and maintain positive routines to build a healthier next generation.
Does this affect my health cover costs?
Taking part is your choice and if your child is eligible, it won’t affect your premium or health cover in any way.
How do I access the program?
The program is run by Ethos Health Pty Ltd for HCF members. You’ll need to go to the Healthy Families for Life website to access the resource library. If you’d like to get further specialised help, you’ll need to provide some personal information (including health and other sensitive information not shared with HCF) about you and your child to confirm your child's eligibility.
How is my privacy and health data protected?
The personal information you give to the Healthy Families for Life care support team is not shared with HCF and is used only the purpose of confirming your eligibility and understanding your child’s specific needs. If you don’t provide this information, the care support team may not be able to give you the best possible support for you and your child.
If you decide on a Consultation Care program, the care support team will need to confirm your child is eligible for the program with your consent after you complete the questionnaire.
You'll need to complete an online form which will be sent to HCF to confirm your child's eligibility. This includes your member number, name and your child’s name to confirm you're eligible to take part in the program.
With your permission, Ethos Health may provide personal information to your regular doctor or other healthcare provider.
GETTING IN TOUCH
If you have more questions about the program, you can email our Health and Wellbeing team who are here to help.
We aim to get back to you in 2 business days.
OTHER HEALTH programs, services and resources FOR HCF MEMBERS
- Calm Kid Central: An online educational and support program for eligible HCF members^ to help kids aged 4–11 understand and better manage their feelings.
- Mental Health Programs: We’ve gone above and beyond to develop a holistic mental health and wellbeing program with access to a range of options that work.
- GP2U & PSYCH2U: Eligible members can speak with an expert online to access a range of services including getting sick notes and referrals, treatment for anxiety, depression and stress.
- Navigating Parenthood podcast: From babies to teens, listen to parents explore the struggles and juggles of raising happy, healthy kids.
*All HCF members with any HCF health insurance product (excluding Overseas Visitors Health Cover) are eligible to access the Healthy Families for Life online resources and online/phone assessment from the care support team. Your child may qualify for the additional clinical support from the Healthy Families for Life program if you have an active family or single parent hospital product, which includes your children age 0-12 years (excluding Accident Only Basic Cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover) and your child has multiple risk factors for developing a chronic disease and also meets the program's clinical eligibility criteria below.
Your child may qualify for the Healthy Families for Life personalised Consultation Care program if they are 0-12 years old and they have multiple risk factors for chronic disease, including:
- having problems with their nutritional intake
- showing eating behaviours that need to be addressed in order to develop healthy eating habits.
^To be eligible for Calm Kid Central you must have hospital or extras cover, excludes Accident Only Basic cover and Overseas Visitors Health Cover.